Tuesday 13 January 2009

If you're gonna criticise. At least aim right.

The only thing worse than someone trying to dispute the musical/poetic merit (to me) of hip hop is someone using examples of an artist(s) who isn't hip hop to dispute its musical/poetic merit.

I've never judged rock by the Jonas Brothers,(Inbefore "THE JONAS BROTHERS AREN'T ROCK).

Soulja Boy isn't hip hop. - Yeah. Thought so.

Initially, I thought that when someone criticised a genre, It was based on them listening to it and forming a conclusion based on what they'd heard. But really, All it is, is them going to the worst possible source of that music and making a judgement based on that. I find it even funnier that people who criticise hip hop and like another genre tend to have hilarious taste in that genre (See it pays to diversify your music taste).

"Rap sucks dude. It's all fake. You should go listen to metal" - Gaffot no. 1

"O RLY? Recommend me a band" - Me.

"Trivium are the best metal band ever. Go listen to them."

"Bud. You're kicking the word fake at me? Even though you not only listen to, But idolise a band that are nothing but metallica on steroids?."

".....Yeah whatever dude. Rap sucks".

See. Its easy to neuter the credibility of a fool's argument once you pull up a little background.

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. My favourites are the ones who go "I hate rap. Well, except Public Enemy. Oh, and Run DMC were pretty good." - Well then, you don't hate rap, do you?
    I wish these haters would realise that the stuff they form a negative opinion of hip hop around is the stuff that hip hop heads hate more than anyone.
    "It's all bling and bitches". Really? Because I could name you 50 emcees off the top of my head who never talk about that stuff.

    Anyway, I'll stop ranting. My point is, I agree with you. But I'm guessing you knew that anyway.

    Hugs
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comment. I enjoy reading your posts and your questions on RHH.

    I do enjoy listening to all types of music. I've been on a Rock kick for the past couple of weeks so I kinda left RHH behind for a bit. Just trying to brush up on my music but RHH is by far my favorite. I, however, will be the first to admit that without Rock, Jazz, Soul, Blues, and many many more genres of music, there would be no RHH so I give credit when and where it is due.

    Much love and keep droppin knowledge and I'll keep pickin it up.

    ReplyDelete